
Yep... you read that correctly. My title had the word boobies in it. In all fairness, I did not make up the name, it's actually a product (or two) that I tried out and I wanted to share it with you. So here I go.
I came across these nifty little guys while I was at my lactation support group. And yes, you read that correctly, I am attending a lactation support group so that I might become better at breastfeeding.
Anyways, as I was sitting in a circle of fellow breastfeeding mothers, my disposable nursing pad fell on to the floor. It was sopping wet and nasty, but I did not bring any extras with me, so I just shrugged my shoulders and threw it back in my bra. Another mother must have seen my face and she started talking to me about these great nursing pads that she had gotten from a friend. They are lined with bamboo cotton on one side and a waterproof fabric on the other. She pulled hers out and showed it to me. It was thin, pretty and heart shaped.
After that I decided that I was going to get my own pair of bamboobies to try because who wants to wear a sopping, bulky nursing pad for several hours a day? I ordered them straight from the manufacturer, but I heard there are many stores that actually sell them as well. I also picked out some natural nipple butter made by Earth Mama Angel Baby while I was at it because I figured that I might as well get the deluxe experience. My order came with three sets of thin water proof nursing pads and one soft nighttime pad that is not waterproof, but very thick and absorbant all for $29.99.
ACTUAL REVIEWS:
BAMBOOBIES
A great solution for a woman who is needing coverage for her leaking boob! haha! Yes, I think the day nursing pads are wonderful... They are soft and very absorbant. There was not a single day where I had an issue with leakage like I did with disposable nursing pads. I did have to make sure that I always used nipple cream after each feeding or else I felt as though I stuck to the fabric of the pad a little bit, but that really didn't bother me much because I had my new nipple cream that I needed to try out as well. Now when it came to the night nursing pad, I did find that it was not as absorbant, but that could be because I might have been leaking more at night (not sure really). Anyways, those would definitely NOT work for me during the day at all... but they are one hundred times softer than the day nursing pads and might be more comfortable for women who need something extra soft. Again, I had to use a ton of nipple butter with these because they are fabric, but it still is not an issue for me. I also really liked the fact that they were in non-crazy colors and patterns. For me, I like to wear a ton of whites which means wearing a white or nude bra which also means wearing a non-obvious nursing pad so that it doesn't show through my shirt.
For the most part I really really really do like Bamboobies nursing pads, but a few issues come to my mind. First of all, I do not like the shape of the day pads. As cute as they look, I don't like wearing a heart in my bra. It really does not fit well or look good inside a bra. I thought that since my breasts are a normal size that it would be fine, but really they kind of crinkle and do not look smooth under clothes. The only way I can get them to lay relatively flat is if I wear them upside down... which really doesn't bother me, but I know that's not how they were intended to be worn. That made me start thinking that if a smaller chested woman were to purchase these, I don't think they would ever really lay well in her bra... any direction... which is not really helpful when your nursing pad is sliding around in your bra, not catching what it's intended to catch. The second and last problem I have is that I don't feel like they are very cost effective. For about 30 bucks you only get 4 pads and only 3 of those are for day time usage, which kind of erks me. Now I could have purchased a different combination or pads or even just singles, but again I did not feel as though that was in my budget, especially when a box of 140 nursing pads is maybe $6, which makes me feel bad to use, but really it makes me feel less bad than spending $30.
In honesty, I would say 100% this is an awesome buy if you have some extra cash to spend, but if you are thrifty and crafty with a sewing machine, go out to JoAnnes and purchase some PUL and super soft flannel fabric and make your own (like 20 of your own with that much fabric). If you were to do that the fabric alone might set you back $20 for a yard of each and it might take you an afternoon of experimental sewing, which is totally worth it to me. But if you are not sewing savvy, I hope I have not led you away from this product, because I am not sorry at all that I purchased these and I would buy more if I did not think I could make them myself. So you should totally try them out!
EARTH MAMA ANGEL BABY
I have tried some other nipple creams, like the Lansinoh that I was given by the hospital and some other creams that I bought myself, but this one is luxurious. I feel really creepy describing nipple cream that way, but the first month or so of nursing is no picnic and you need all the relief you can get! Anyways, the smell reminds me of chocolate, but it's actually olive oil, cocoa, shea butter and calendula cream (plus some other organic ingredients that no one most likely knows about). It is ultra southing and moisturizing and all over wonderful. It's also pretty expensive coming in at $14.99 for 2 fluid oz, but it seems to go a LONG way and I am using it pretty liberally after every feeding. I would buy this again because I am a total product junkie and don't feel like I could replicate this type of thing in a short amount of time or with little cash because of how expensive natural ingredients are. So seriously DO try this cream and feel the awesome relief!
So, I don't know much about nursing, and obviously I know even less about nursing products, but are these washable? It doesn't seem like 3 would go very far, and for $30, that's a lot!
ReplyDeleteThe nipple cream..... is this something that you also keep on when your baby is nursing, or do you need to wipe it off so they don't get any of it?
Just curious.... I know, I know, I could just google it... but hey, you're talking about nursing, may as well talk to another new nursing mom who I actually know!
You can tell I am a total noob about writing product reviews because I guess I should have explained some of those things as well... WHOOPS. The bamboobies nursing pads are washable, but I still feel like they don't make up for being that expensive UNLESS you literally do laundry every day (which I don't always... even with a newborn). Most people purchase enough baby stuff to cover over a few messes and days without doing laundry. I don't believe in starting the washing machine unless I can do a full load. I think that defeats the purpose of being eco friendly. And the nipple cream is like a salve you can put on after feedings. Most do not require that you wipe off before feeding...sometimes I apply it before because it doesn't hurt and it helps a lot in making you feel less "chapped".
ReplyDelete