When we visit Dallas, one of our absolutely favorite spots is celebrity chef Stephen Pyles restaurant downtown across from the Dallas Museum of Art. This is a great place to have happy hour, serving their fantastic complementary flat breads for each person at the bar.
This Christmas we were unable to visit home for the holidays and because of that Jonathan and I are definitely feeling Stephan Pyles withdrawals. Desperate to feel some sort familiarity, we decided to attempt to create their signature drink infusion (for Jonathan and any of our holiday guests). Thankfully, the bartender at the restaurant was kind enough to give us the recipe over the phone.
The drink is called the Piña Diablo and it is a semi-sweet pineapple infused rum with a spicy kick at the last second. I have only tried it once because I only found out about it just before I got pregnant, but it is truly devine and Jonathan mutters the name of this drink in his sleep he loves it so much! Here is the fairly simple recipe and even corresponding photographs! ENJOY!
First part of the recipe:
- 40 oz of pineapple juice NOT from concentrate
- 2 pineapples diced
- 4 serrano chili peppers cut long ways into quarters
- 3 long vanilla beans cut long ways
- 1 whole package of mint leaves
- 2-4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup of brown sugar
Combine all items in a large cooking pot, mix and bring to a rolling boil. Let simmer on stove for an hour, then let cool. Transfer contents into a large drink dispenser.
Next add the following alcohols:
- 1.5 l of Bacardi rum
- 750 ml of Myerss rum
- 750 ml of Malibu coconut rum
Stir and let set for at least overnight (but a week is best). Drink and Enjoy!




I love the step by step pics!
ReplyDeleteHoly crap that's a lot of work! I was too sick to try it yesterday (yes, I have a cold) and I just went to crack it open and all I have to say is who put that cork in??? After huffing and puffing for 5 minutes I've concluded that I'll just have to wait until Will gets home. Too bad my mouth's watering now!
ReplyDelete