Thursday, October 13, 2011

Getting out of town


Jonathan and I decided a few weeks back that we would spend the majority of Mason's anniversary week out of town so that we could be together and distract ourselves from being too sad.  It had to be somewhere nearby because I have been ordered by my doctors to stay close and it had to be peaceful.  We couldn't think of any place better than Santa Barbara.

To tell you the truth, these days have really not been any harder than any other day for me and no it really wasn't because of the beautiful scenery or the fun outings.  I think the reason it all feels like normal is because I have been living in my grief since Mason died.  The worst part about this time is that I have been apart from Mason longer than I actually knew/knew about him.  My time with him grows further and further away.  I prepared myself for such a heart-wrenching week, that when it arrived, it was almost like an emotional let down.  Let me explain that I am still completely wrecked over him not being here with us, it's just that I feel that way all the time.  I could sit down and cry a puddle any hour of any day... it's doesn't matter if it were last week or on the exact minute of his death.  It's a pain that stays, but it becomes more tolerable as time goes on.  So instead of crying ALL day long and never leaving my bed (and believe me, there were several months of those days), I can put it off to 6:00 in the evening when I am lonely and everyone back home is settling in for dinner and Jonathan is still a few hours from taking off work.  I have found many other ways to express my grief and have done so to make it more fair on myself and on my husband.  It's already completely 100% unfair that at 24 years old, my baby died and I was left to live a life without knowing him and watching him grow up, but it is also unfair to spend the rest of my life not paying tribute to his little soul and not living.

I don't really know why I started this post in the first place, but I guess it was to let you know that I survived year 1.  I'm not telling you so that I can win some prize or anything, but I think it's important to say it just in case some new baby loss mama or daddy comes across my blog and is about to enter the journey that I have already been sent on.  This is more for those readers.

And so is this note below:

I'm so sorry you lost your little one. I am so sorry that you are hurting. I know some days seem like eternity and that it also seems like just yesterday you were with your baby, but those days will become less and less difficult. You will still miss and love your child with a crazy intensity that NO one will be able to understand because they have never been in your shoes. You will still be a parent no matter what any horrible person might say.  You are stronger than you think you are. You just need to be patient and be brave. You can do this. Just keep walking through this storm. God will see you through.  


You'll Never Walk Alone by Rodgers and Hammerstein

When you walk through a storm
Keep your chin up high
And don't be afraid of the dark.
At he end of the storm
Is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of a lark.

Walk on through the wind,
Walk on through the rain,
Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown. Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone,
You'll never walk alone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Designed with love by BDD