Sunday, July 06, 2014

DIY roll blind


I will fully admit I have failed this blog a bit as of late. I've just been too tired to care. My parents have been in town visiting this week and I must have gotten a boost of nesting energy because holy crap... Christa's been creating.

This is a SUPER easy project. We moved into our house in April and our budget for redecorating has been rather tight. The most we have really done is paint.  Well this week I decided to work on the kitchen a little bit since it had some really out-dated window coverings.  Again, trying to be mindful of cost, I decided that it might be fun to try and cover some of the existing vinyl roll blinds.


You will need:
-1 yard or more of fabric
-Paper clips or clothes pins
-Hot glue
-Optional... trim or ribbon

First, cut the fabric to two inches longer than your actual window and an inch wider than the shade.
This will give you enough fabric to wrap around the shade.

Second, take your fabric and fasten it (in the straightest manner possible) to the shade using the paper clips or clothes pins.  Be mindful not to poke holes in your vinyl.

Third, starting with the bottom back side of the shade, begin hot gluing the fabric to the shade.  You should only have about an inch overhang which should be just the right amount to wrap on the backside of the shade.

Continue this process until you get all the way to the top of where you window would hit in the shade... it should actually go an inch higher.

Now you should be able to wrap the overhanging sides around to the back and glue them down as well.

After you have allowed a few minutes to dry, you can start using the trim to outline the edges of your shade for a more "finished" look. I used a bunch of linen ribbons that I had left over from a purchase at West Elm.

This whole process should take about a half hour.

TIPS:
-try to cut and fasten the fabric straight or else you will feel as though you have a lopsided window.
-make sure you put down the fabric quickly after laying down the hot glue or else it will not fasten to the vinyl well.  Then you will have fabric falling all over the place which will not be cute looking at all.   




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Designed with love by BDD