Wednesday, August 08, 2012
coconut oil
Oh my love for Trader Joe's unrefined extra virgin organic coconut oil... let me count the ways. You made a great addition to every person's household. Great for baking, cooking and even great for those rough patches of eczema on the back of your arms. What's even better than all those things combined. A nice pretty baby bottom.
What? What's that you say? No I am not going to post a photo of Noah's nice rash free baby bottom, but I am going to tell you how much I LOVE this stuff for skin. It is so gentle (unless of course you are allergic to coconut... don't use this then!) and it smells delicious! It makes me think of summer time and a mai tai by the beach. When you are changing a million diapers a day, wouldn't it be nice to have a pleasant scent association with the process? haha
Anyways, the best part about using coconut oil on a baby is that it's totally cloth diaper safe! All of you cloth mama's out there know how tricky finding a cloth diaper appropriate cream is. If you shop at trader joe's a 16oz jar of this stuff costs $5.99. And I don't know about the rest of you, but you can't even buy aquaphor for $5.99 at that size.
The only hitch is that a little goes a long way and you have to keep it at a fairly cool temperature because coconut oil (which comes in a solid) liquifies when it is warmer 75 degrees. I guess you could always keep a little jar of it in your fridge if you are worried. I like to keep it in smaller quantities near the changing table, so I just spoon out some into a baby food jar and keep it close to diapers.
Noah still has not had diaper rash since we have been using cloth diapers, but whenever his bottom is starting to look a little chapped from too much wetness, I just slap some of this all over and he is good to go! In fact, I am currently using it on Noah's drool rash that he has developed from teething.
Oh coconut oil. What do you love it for?
Labels:
cloth diaper,
coconut oil,
products,
skin
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Alas, no babies! But...the most delicious fish you ever will eat! Do the regular flour, egg,
ReplyDeletepanko and saute in coconut oil! Any fish...halibut, snapper, anything! It is so wonderful and your kitchen smells great!
hugs to "all y'all!"