Many of you know that I took up yoga earlier this year as a exercise regimen in order to loose the remainder of my baby weight from Mason. I found a pretty good deal on groupon.com and was able to get a month of unlimited yoga for $39.99, which is AMAZINGLY cheap for yoga. Anyways, I went to yoga 25 times out of that 31 day membership and became pretty hooked. Once the month was up, I joined the yoga center and I made it a habit of going 4-5 times a week.
Well at the beginning of my pregnancy, I was still doing pretty well and able to attend the majority of my regular classes, but around 9 weeks, the all day sickness got so bad that I just became like a hermit and started doing more exercises from home just in case I should feel the need to lay down or be sick in the privacy of my own home. I have probably averaged 1-2 classes per week and felt really guilty about not being able to keep up with my exercising.
Well, this past week, I felt well enough to go to class on Wednesday and it just so happened that there was also a prenatal class offered on that day. Since I am now out of my first trimester, I thought that maybe it would be appropriate enough to attend a class here and there and pick up some modifications to make my regular classes or home practicing a little easier. I was pretty much the earliest pregnant lady in the class. Most of the other mothers were literally about to pop, but the instructor reassured me that most of the women had all started the yoga class much earlier in their pregnancies.
The class was great. There were so many exercises that I had never done before and it definitely was a workout. We even did these killer squats that worked areas of my legs I didn't even realize existed. I don't think I have had that kind of soreness since doing jump builders in cheerleading back in high school. Sounds terrible, but really the pain is actually pretty awesome because it's not the feeling of being overworked, but the feeling of discovering something that needs extra attention. Anyways, the best part of the class came at the end. There was 15 minute restorative where we just rested and relaxed in a prego friendly pose. I felt so energized afterwards that I was able to go home and clean the house for the rest of the day (of course I totally over did it by doing all the housework and felt like crap on Thursday)!
For reference, this is a photo of the killer squats. Looks simple enough, but do slow repetitions(x5) of getting in and out of the squats and then hold it for 2 minutes. You will totally understand what I am talking about!!!

0 comments:
Post a Comment