Friday, August 02, 2013
Happy 2013 World Breastfeeding Week!
This year's theme for World Breastfeeding Week is Close to Mothers. It is all about finding a support system for yourself while you are trying to establish and maintain breastfeeding. It is so essential and I would say that is THE main reason I was able to keep up with breastfeeding. I attended a breastfeeding support group for NINE MONTHS. Yes... you read that correctly, nine months and the only reason I stopped going was because Noah became too active during the support group and basically outgrew the newborn scale. HAH. I know you are thinking... "just stick the baby on your boob and let them drink... it's easy right?". I wish I could tell you it is that easy for everyone, but really... it's not.
I remember the lactation consultant telling me that I was going to have to feed Noah with a syringe until he had learned how to suck, swallow and latch. I remember the absolute PAIN letdown was and how much oversupply I had (blessing and a curse). Noah also battled the losing too much weight and then not gaining enough weight which is so stressful for any new mom.
BUT... I also remember all of the late night feedings and special cuddles I got to experience. So many wonderful bonding experiences that I really missed out on with Mason and I am so very thankful that I have had so many with Noah because of breastfeeding. I would never change a minute of it and I definitely would not have weaned him any sooner. It has been great for both of us.
I cannot even believe how long we've kept this up... thought for sure I wouldn't last a month, but yesterday marked 18 months. It was SO hard in the beginning, but I am so happy that it has worked out for both Noah and I.
Anyways, for all of you breastfeeding mothers out there I salute you! And for those of you who didn't or couldn't breastfeed, I salute you too because you did what was right for your baby and family (do not ever feel bad about that)!
Labels:
breastfeeding
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Love love love that you posted about this!!!
ReplyDelete