Monday, July 16, 2012

baby wearing... everyone is doing it.




Okay, maybe not EVERYONE... but I am and so I guess I notice it more  often now?  It's great to walk around the town and see another fellow baby wearer.  I can get through crowds with ease.  Clean the house without worry and even more importantly calm my crazy baby.

It's my form of constant Kangaroo care.

I had originally heard about kangaroo care from my best friend, Ashley, who is a NICU nurse.  It's where a mother and baby snuggle bare skin to bare skin.  The term was named after the close relationship a mommy kangaroo maintains with her joey who doesn't come out of her pouch for four months after birth.  The joey will rely on its mommy for warmth, comfort, nourishment, and support as it transitions into the world.

It wasn't until I had my own preemie baby that I understood the importance of that physical connection with my child.  Sadly I only held my Mason, for half an hour while he was still alive and then a short few minutes after he had died and then that was it.

Fast forward to Noah.  I knew LONG before he came into our lives that our next baby would have to be my cuddle bug.  He would HAVE to be close to me.  I needed that closeness and hopefully he would need that from me too.

Day one we connected.  As soon as this child was positioned onto my chest I could feel my heart beat fuller and stronger than it had ever done so before.  I needed that burst and Noah thrived with the closeness as well.  The next day Jonathan brought in a baby carrier for us to try out.  It was great.  It allowed me to keep Noah close without straining my body since I was still recovering from c-section.  It became my best accessory.

It was perfect.  I could keep Noah's little body close to me all the time.  It later became our saving grace when little Noah didn't want to go to sleep at night.  No rocking or car riding would help.  But we would put him in the sling and he was out cold in just a few short minutes.

Everyone knows about Noah and how he likes to be worn in a carrier.  Everyone knows that if they want to watch Noah that they need to know how to put it on and that he does best when he is being held.  It doesn't matter who it is, Noah will love you if you wear him.

It's amazing how much I can get done with him strapped to me.  I have mastered going to the bathroom, doing laundry, washing dishes, vacuuming and walking the dog all with Noah strapped to me.

Even Jonathan has embraced wearing our kid.  When I come home from outings I almost always come home to find Noah helping Daddy do the dishes or the two of them making dinner.

Best of all, it makes life so simple in a not so baby friendly area.  Before when Noah was a wee bit, I would have him strapped to me all through dinner at a restaurant and he would just sleep.  No baby carrier, stroller or other accessory needed.  Now that he's a little bigger, he doesn't sleep through dinner, but we can sit him in a high chair or strap him into our chair converter but still bring him along in the baby carrier.

I have tried a variety of carriers and found a handful that work for us and our life style.  There are three things I look for in a carrier.

(1) ease of use - I have to be able to get the carrier on within a minute.  If it takes longer than that... it's boxed back up and returned to the store.  
(2) comfortability - It also has to feel comfortable.  Whether that means squishy shoulder straps or the weight of the fabric so that I don't sweat through my entire wardrobe. I wear this little guy all over the place, so the device has got to be extremely comfortable.
(3) durability - again... since I use these contraptions every day all day long, I don't want them breaking, fading or sagging from use.

Of course without saying, I also have to feel comfortable with the price at which the carrier costs.  I would never go out and spend $300... even if it's the best carrier on the planet.  If I were to want one like that... I wait and find it on sale or look into a used version.  I mean... it's pretty irresponsable for me as a stay-at-home mom to spend all of our income on baby items because I think they are cute or amazing.  I try to be fiscally responsable.

Here are my personal recommendations:

The k'tan.  It is similar to the moby (which I have also tried).  It's fast to put on, it's secure and it grows with the baby.  The baby can face forward or backwards on your chest.  Noah LOVES this carrier.  He would be in it all day if I let him.  Because it's a stretchy wrap, after a certain weight, it's probably not best to wear it all day long because you are not getting the best support.  I still wear this one all around the house and out to places because it's soft and doesn't look like anything babyish when I take him out. So I can comfortably wear it over my clothes and go about my business.

Hotsling.  This is a side sling that you can either recline your baby or wear the baby on your hip.  This is great for short wears.  Makes me feel a little more secure about holding Noah while walking around the house.  Sometimes he just wants to be close and doesn't want to feel like I am putting him to sleep.  He wants to be by my side and still see around, maybe touch some things, but again be close.  This is not an all day sling for me.  My body would ache horribly if I wore him all day long on my side (that's just me though, I know many people who do that and they love it).

The Boba baby carrier.  You may have seen something similar called the Ergo.  I chose the Boba instead of the Ergo because the Ergo's fabric was a little hotter than I could stand.  After having Noah, my once arctic chilled body has become a tropical nasty mess.  I don't think I ever thought I could be so hot natured.  It could be because my baby is extremely hot natured and his little body pressed up against mine makes me even more warm or it could be that I have just changed since having babies.  Anyways, the ergo had too much fabric and made me sweat in just putting it on... so I knew it wasn't for me.  Thus I looked around and found the Boba was comparable.  I went with it and I will say that I love it!  I put Noah on my back and can do all kinds of house work.  Scrubbing toilets.... I can be on my hands and knees scrubbing the floor and there are no dangling toes in my way! haha not to mention there is amazing back support and foot straps for when Noah is a toddler and wants more leg support.  This is a great outdoor carrier.  Great for all day wear and activities.

I plan on keeping up with the baby wearing as long as my body will allow it  (and Noah will allow it).  If I perchance purchase another carrier, I will inform you on how it fares with our family.

What carriers have worked or not worked for you?  I like to hear other's opinions.  Did any of the carriers I mention not suite your families needs?

1 comment:

  1. I totally empathise with the raised body temp. The smallest rise in room temperature and I need a shower-ugh! I blame the nursing, I think our bodies working overtime 24 7 and that's what keeps our body temp slightly raised-that's my theory anyway :)

    ReplyDelete

Designed with love by BDD