I have always thought myself to be a faithful person. If something was meant to happen it was going to happen. I believe that God takes care of His children in various ways and we can't always see or understand how it's going to happen. In my pregnancy with Mason, I was sick. From the very moment of conception, God had a special plan for him (long long before, though I didn't know it) and he was not going to come home with me. No amount of praying and begging would have changed that unless it had been part of God's ultimate plan. And the help that I received from doctors and nurses, that was part of his plan. He put those people in my life and those connections helped me to find the doctors I needed to sustain my pregnancy with Noah. I prayed just as fervently and if anything I was probably LESS faithful because I was scared out of my mind about all of the horrible possible outcomes. It's just very complicated.
What I am rambling on and on about is that I hate hearing (or reading) that someone is so much more of a Christian because she didn't use medication to get pregnant or didn't see a high risk specialist to sustain pregnancy. What these women do not realize is that every day of my pregnancy with Mason, I prayed over my belly that he would grow strong. I believed that he was coming home with me all the way from the beginning. I thought that because I was so faithful nothing bad could possibly happen to me. But that is TERRIBLY unrealistic. After being hospitalized and numerous tests, I know that I need medication to sustain pregnancy. I should have a doctor look over me to make sure my blood pressure isn't crazy... it's not about being faithful, it's about trusting that my plans are aligned with God's plan and that if they aren't that I can trust Him anyways. It's like the woman who knows she has cancer and refuses treatments but expects God to heal her instead. God may choose to heal her (or have already chosen), but again is she less of a believer if she had chosen treatments after all? Not in the slightest!
In regards to (in)fertility and the Bible... do you not think that Sarah or Rachel or Hannah wouldn't have used medical interventions instead of waiting decades to conceive children or even watching their husbands take on concubines to continue on their legacy? God has given doctors the knowledge to help us in these areas; is it wrong to use that knowledge?
I have a GIANT knee-jerk reaction to these types of discussions. I guess people mean well when they say what their saying, but I can't help but feel as though my faith is being attacked.
Christa, I just love you. You put into words that others cannot. I hope to share this blog with others who have suffered and perservered. Thank you, and Love,
ReplyDeleteDottie
Technology is a beautiful thing, and to not use every possible method with the means you can afford would be flat out stupid!!! Technology is amazing and I for one fully support you and your shot taking and doppler readings and whatever else you need to get what you want and feel comfortable in doing it!
ReplyDelete**steps off soap box**